Thursday 26 January 2012

Bustin' The Newbie Blues

Busting the Newbie Blues is an event hosted by Small Review. The even runs throughout January, so I am a little late jumping on the bandwagon, but better late than never. To find out more check out Small Review .

My Questionnaire:

1. When did you start your blog? 

19th June 2011. I kind of jumped in feet first with no planning or any idea what I was going to do.

2. Why did you start your blog?

I began blogging to keep a track of what I had read and my thoughts about what I was reading, I have a terrible habit of forgetting what I have read so it seemed like a great way to keep track and possibly share my thoughts with others.

3. What is the biggest challenge you have face so far?

Getting followers. I am not up to speed with the whole networking side of things and I do find this to be the most challenging part.

4. What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?

Getting my ideas and thoughts into a post. I am not the best at translating ideas and thoughts on to paper but it is something I am determined to improve and as they say practice makes perfect!

5. What do you find most encouraging?

Comments, tweets, my little group of followers and the dupport from my family and friends it is all greatly appreciated and keeps me sane. I also find looking at other blogs to be encouraging and inspiring, there are just so many great blogs out there and if they can do it so can I!

6. What do you like best about the blogs you read?

I love difference in each blog I read. The unique voices and varied content.

7. What do you dislike about blogs you've read?

I really dislike background music on blogs (or any website for that matter). Also having to enter a code to post a comment.

8. Advice for other new bloggers.

Make sure you are blogging for yourself not because you think your followers or anyone else expects you to. Above all else have fun!

9. Questions for newbie or established bloggers.

What is the best way to find out information about upcoming releases?
How did you first approach publishers to request ARC's?


3 comments:

  1. Im a new follower www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    What is the best way to find out information about upcoming releases? Google Reader , by following other blogs, Fantasticfiction.com and Goodreads.
    How did you first approach publishers to request ARC's? Actually I didn't , I just started posting my book reviews on books I had read from the library and started joing Book forums letting authors know I would request their books , joined Netgalley, Simon Schuster GalleyGrab, Booksneeze to grab ARCS. ( free to join) and then once I was established enough authors and publishing companies approached me . All this within 6 months of starting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your advice!! At the end of the day, you're blogging for you! Welcome to book blogging...I'm a new follower :)

    xo,
    La Toya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to have my volume on my computer muted, so this mysterious blog music everyone is talking about has never bothered me! I didn't mind the CAPTCHAs on comments until recently. They just make it take longer to comment, and sometimes the page reloads and I never realized it wanted a code, so my comments don't go through. So sad!

    Great advice! Blogs should always be fun!

    I don't request ARCs because my reading schedule is pretty tight, but I've one won through a Goodreads giveaway. Small Review recently wrote a great post about getting ARCs, if you haven't seen it yet.

    You could check out the Waiting on Wednesday posts at Breaking the Spine to find some upcoming releases, though there's not really a way to sort them if you're looking particularly for YA books or historical fiction or something.

    ReplyDelete